Sunday 26 September 2010

Day 17 - Too many bubbles!

Well as I mentioned in yesterday's update, we're now staying at the Intercontinental Hotel in Almaty and I can honestly say that you can never have too many bubbles in your bath or in your champagne!

We spent all today giving Fugly the once-over and found that the offside king-pin is very worn.  We've decided to leave it for the time being and pack it daily with grease and consider a change in Turkey or Iran dependant on the wear rate.

Yet again I had to adjust the brakes and this time even the professional assistance found that the brakes are not running true, meaning we both look like nodding dogs as the brakes grab and release as we come to a halt .... good for the neck muscles!  (and probably for re-effervescing the bubbles from the previous night ... Peter)

The spigot bush has once again broken free and whilst we have a replacement that was sent from Autosportif in the UK, I have decided to leave it alone for the time being.   Thanks to Mark Owen of Owen Motorsport in Oxfordshire for his opinion which played a significant part in the decision process and allowed me to concentrate the rest of the day on general maintenance, such as gearbox oil top-up, engine oil, fuel filter changes, air-filter cleaning, spanner checking and those bloody brakes!  (for your sake, Clive, I hope that you have been scrupulously following Ces' laminated check list ... Peter)

As I type, it's 5.30pm here and I've finally finished ... having started at 8.30am this morning.   It's been a long, hot, dirty day ... but now my thoughts are turning to beer!

Tomorrow is another rest day and I intend to have a day away from that bloody car and make use of the hotel pool instead!

We leave at 6.00am on Tuesday and the carnage will start once again as we head through Kazakstan and into Uzbekistan which, apparently, has a fuel shortage.   To slightly misquote what Confucius would have said "we will be living through interesting times"!

CD & Ces

PS.  I miss my Dad

(PPS:  I've no doubt that your Dad is having a great time watching your antics.  And I doubt that he has any trouble with wi-fi connections or Russian interfaces getting his updates ... Peter)

No comments:

Post a Comment